Thursday, September 07, 2006

Chicken Taco Salads


Nothing brilliant, but I made up the taco shell idea after Zoo Ala Carte when everyone loved the deep-fried taco salad bowl.

Shells:
large flour tortillas
Aluminum foil
Vegetable oil

Take sheets of aluminum foil and scrunch them up into loose balls, then place them on a cookie sheet like this:
Microwave flour tortillas until soft and then paint both sides of them with vegetable oil, and cup them over the foil balls. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until crispy, bubbly and light brown like this:
Allow to cool slightly and then fill with your choice of taco salad fixins! We had:
lettuce
tomatoes
red onions
black olives
rice
grilled chicken
shredded cheese
ranch dressing
picante sauce
sour cream


I decided to try to make taco shells this way after seeing how much more expensive the taco salad kits were than just plain flour tortillas. I think it worked pretty well! However, yesterday I got one of those free recipe magazine things from Kraft and they suggested using smaller tortillas and stuffing them into muffin tins! So next time I might try that.

We also had quesadillas for T.

1 comment:

Stefaneener said...

Nice baking idea. I might have to try that. (But I don't have a microwave. My cousin was agog.)