Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Cee's Quick Red Beans and Rice; Green Bean Amandine


Another great recipe from my friend Cee. I have made her long-version Red Beans and Rice, but tried this one when I forgot to put a turkey roast into the oven in time to have it ready for supper! My family liked this one even better.

Dice a medium sized onion and a bell pepper (I added a hot pepper from my garden, too). Put them in a large pot or Dutch oven with enough olive oil to almost cover them and saute' until tender-ish.
Add 2 large cans of kidney beans (I used one dark, one light)
Stir in (more or less as preference dictates):
2-3 tablespoons of minced garlic
1/4 cup of brown sugar (I'd use a touch less next time)
1/2 tablespoon Italian-blend seasoning
2 bay leaves
salt
pepper
1 teaspoon Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 lb diced kielbasa or smoked sausage

Bring to a boil, turn to simmer while you make rice (I used the rice cooker).

Serve over rice and pass extra hot sauce so people can make it as spicy as they want.
-----
Green bean amandine

Cook green beans according to package directions (or use fresh... better yet!)

Saute sliced almonds in butter. When the almonds are brown, remove from heat and squeeze half a lemon into the almond butter. Pour over the top of the cooked green beans and season with salt. yummmmmm....
-----
Pillsbury Italian bread with butter

No comments: