Monday, October 30, 2006

Pesto

If I have a chance, I plan to try to catch up on posts today. However, my SIL just emailed me and asked if M. and I would like to go to the zoo today, so it's possible I'll have to extend my hiatus a bit longer... :)

But here's a picture of all the basil I harvested before the hard frost:

And after that, it only made this much pesto:

I froze it in an ice cube tray w/o any cheese and when I want some, I just toss a cube into what I'm cooking, or defrost it and stir in some fresh parmesan or asiago. YUM!

I take my pesto recipe from Mollie Katzen:

3 c. packed fresh basil leaves
3-4 large cloves garlic
1/3 c. pine nuts, lightly toasted
1/3 c. olive oil
salt and pepper
1/3 cup parmesan

Place the basil and garlic in a food processor and mince well. Add the pine nuts and process until they are ground. Drizzle in the olive oil as the machine is running. When you have a smooth paste, transfer to a small bowl, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the parmesan (if I'm freezing it, I leave out the parmesan).

1 comment:

True Mama said...

Oh, yum! I grew basil one summer. Henry and I will have to do that next year. I LOVE pesto!