Friday, January 20, 2006

January 17, 2006

Catching up on lots of stuff, but nothing major...

It's been awhile, and yet not much is going on. So why am I so insanely busy?

First of all, it's finals week, so that means I've been tutoring like crazy this week. Past years I've limited myself to tutoring two students, and have often added a third second semester if I'm not meeting with one of them regularly. Well, it seems that my name is getting out there (which is a Good Thing (tm)), but right now I am tutoring FOUR kids regularly (two in Intensive Chem. and two in both Algebra and Biology) and one in Chemistry on an as-needed basis. Since the kids are older, this hasn't been too bad... essentially two nights a week (two hours each time) plus every three weeks an additional hour. But now we've got finals. Between what I HAVE done and will be doing this week, from Saturday to Thursday, I'll have probably put in 12 hours this week. I know, I know... twelve hours isn't very much for a WEEK's worth of work, but when you're used to working four hours a week, that's a lot! LOL Add in Girl Scouts, doctor/dentist appointments, DH going out of town, etc...

OK, let's talk about some fun stuff first. C. tried out for the local High School's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. They needed 30 kids in grades 3-5 for the children's choir. 45 kids tried out and C. MADE IT!!! Talk about excited! :) I wish I had a picture of her when she got the phonecall telling her she was in. Unfortunately, two of her very best friends did NOT get it. It's so tough to be 10 years old and excited about something, but not really able to share all the excitement for fear of hurting your friends' feelings... But she did find out that at least two of her close friends made it.

In other good C. news, her soccer team won on Saturday! In the combined outdoor and indoor season, I think this may only be the second win. (Their first win was to a team who didn't have enough players to field a team, so C. played for them to help out until they had enough girls show up) I should really take a pic of C. in her soccer outfit, too. Bad mommy!

Now the "bad" C. news... We went to the orthodontist yesterday. We've always known that braces were in her future, but hadn't focused much on it. When she had her dental checkup on January 5th, our dentist said to see and ortho right away! Since our dental insurance covers 50% of orthodontics and has a lifetime maximum of $1200 and C. doesn't need major work, I was thinking this would cost us between $1000 and $1500, spread out over 2-3 years. Well, instead it's going to be $4700 (of which our insurance will cover the $1200) over 20 months. OMG... And we were just talking about how nice it was to have our Xmas money from our parents and our tax refund money without any major home project to use it on. Now I remember why we stopped at three kids :)

Starlene was asking about my handmade knitting needles, so here's a picture of some needles I've made. If anyone wants directions for making them, let me know!



Oh, and I finished that golf club cover. Picking up the ribbing stitches worked just fine! Here's a pic:



I guess that's it. One thing I DO want to do is finish by uploading a picture of my other two kids. I feel awful that my blog is filled with M. pics, but she's the one who is home while I'm posting!

No comments: