Thursday, August 30, 2007

Sauteed shredded zucchini; roasted mushrooms


This is actually a meal I made several weeks ago (but I'm so behind on blogging).

In addition to the recipes I'm sharing, there's steamed broccoli, plain noodles (for M.) and simple BBQ pork chops.

-----
Sauteed shredded zucchini

In the weeks before making this recipe, I read (in several places) about shredding and then sauteing zucchini, and serving it over pasta. A friend had given me a rather large zucchini, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Shred zucchini and squeeze out as much moisture as possible (I used a clean dishtowel for this). chop a small onion. Boil water for pasta of your choice. In the meantime, heat olive oil, butter and onion in a fry pan. When onion is tender, add drained zucchini and a clove of garlic, crushed. Saute only a matter of minutes, and then toss in cooked, drained pasta and lots of fresh ground pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl, layering with lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese.

My notes: I wasn't wowed by this recipe. Essentially, the zucchini added very little. Then again, it didn't take away from what was essentially garlicy, cheesy pasta, so that's something, too. :)

-----
Roasted mushrooms

This is a phenomenal, simple recipe that an IRL friend passed along. It sounded too simple to be good, but OMG, is it yummy!

Clean mushrooms (I used plain white button mushrooms) and remove the stems. Distribute mushrooms (cap down) in a baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over the top and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast in an oven with whatever else you're baking (I did about 25 minutes at 350, but my friend says it's very flexible WRT temps and just watch the time until they look done).

No comments: