Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Ode to My New Sweater

Some of you know that my husband has a long-standing tradition of writing silly (sometimes raunchy) poetry for me in honor of "big" occasions (birthdays, Valentine's Day, anniversaries, etc.). I have quite a collection! Anyway, he wrote one about his new cardigan yesterday and gave me permission to share it (though he couldn't understand WHY I'd want to!). This is reassurance to all of you that he really does appreciate the work I put into it.

Ode to My New Sweater
by G.

Gently purple like Prince's rain that colored your adolescence,
The product of the magic that you do with your fingers
Pulling strings around sticks that I will never understand,
The same fingers that do other sorts of magic that I do,
Like you, it scratches me even when I didn't know I was itchy.

No comments: