Saturday, July 28, 2007

Reusable Grocery Bag

From time to time, I'd see a knit (or sewn) pattern for a reusable grocery bag. In theory, I thought this was nice, but I have to say that the convenience of disposable bags kept me from doing anything about it.

But then the last time I was cleaning, I noticed that I have more cheap plastic bags than I will ever use in this lifetime, and I have more scraps of cotton yarn than I will turn into dishcloths, so I thought I might try to find a pattern to knit a grocery bag.

I wasn't thrilled will many of the patterns I found, and then the Knitty Summer Surprise came to my inbox.

And I fell in love with the Everlasting Bagstopper!

I immediately cast on.

And with two skeins of cotton yarn and some ribbon lying around the craft room, I created:


If you look closely, you can see the "oops" where I goofed in the pattern at knit club. Unfortunately, I make a LOT of goofs at knit club when I talk more than knit! But it's a GROCERY BAG, so I didn't rip back!

And I used it for the first time yesterday and LOVED it (and got great compliments from the bagger at Whole Foods). so I cast on for a second one--this one made from scraps of leftover cotton:

I'm addicted!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I'm in love with the completed one! Very cute!