Saturday, July 28, 2007

Harry Potter!

At least part of the reason I've been absent from blog-land in the last week has been all the Harry Potter stuff!

We went to the Movie (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) on opening day, as we have for the last four movies. After being so disappointed in #4, and thinking about the fact that this book is the longest of the seven, we weren't expecting much. However, we were pleasantly surprised! I think they did a nice job of cutting out the right stuff and focusing on the *most* important stuff. And the characters have matured so nicely into their roles, I think. (although I still dislike this second Dumbledore...) Luna was fabulous! And I even liked Bellatrix LeStrange, casting-wise.

And then, of course, was the final book (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows). We all had costumes of some sort and went to the midnight release party on Friday. C. went as Trelawney (I didn't get any pictures!), T. and M. wore Gryffindor robes, G. made a t-shirt advertising the Weird Sisters World Tour, and I stole a fabulous idea from Alison and made this t-shirt:

Fear of reading/hearing spoilers from some source drove us to read at lightening speed! As with the last book, we read it out loud, with G. and I trading off by chapter. We had a class reunion (G's), a birthday party (my nephew's 3rd), a Mother-Daughter Book Club, G's work, and C's class "interfering" with reading time, but still managed to complete the book Monday night.

Wow.

No spoilers or anything will be included, though I'm happy to discuss things via private email with anyone! I'll just say that I wasn't disappointed (though I am sad that it's over) and that I want to go back and re-read the other six books AGAIN to pick up all the beginnings to the things that JK Rowling so neatly wrapped-up in this book.

No comments: