Saturday, January 19, 2008

A day I thought I'd never see...

T. just said to me, "Mom, I just finished Summer of the Swans. It was a really good book!"


This from the boy whose only experience with fictional works was, for years, Captain Underpants. This from the boy who COULD read when he was three, but who never chose to read for fun. This from the boy who still does prefer Calvin and Hobbes, Paper Airplane books, and an occasional Star Wars novel...

His elementary school does "Battle of the Books" (and C. participated in fourth and fifth grade--her team took second place in fifth grade) and he chose to do this on his own. He's been reading a lot of things that I don't think he'd normally have chosen. This year's reading list is:

Author

Title

Banks, Lynne Ried

Indian in the Cupboard

Blume, Judy

Superfudge

Bond, Michael

A Bear Called Paddington

Boyd, Candy Dawson

Circle of Gold

Byars, Betsy

The Summer of the Swans

Cleary, Beverly

Henry and the Paper Route

Coerr, Eleanor

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes

Conford, Ellen

Felicia the Critic

Dahl, Roald

James and the Giant Peach

Dalgliesh, Alice

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Fitzgerald, John

The Great Brain

Henry, Marguerite

King of the Wind

Holling, Clancy

Paddle to the Sea

Howe, James

Bunnicula

Lawson, Robert

Ben and Me

Lowry, Lois

Anastasia Krupnik

Morey, Walt

Gentle Ben

Sharp, Margery

The Rescuers

Uchida, Yoshiro

Jar of Dreams

Wagner, Jane

J. T.

Wilder, Laura Ingalls

Farmer Boy

They form teams of three, so he doesn't have to read ALL of the books, but I'm hoping he continues to enjoy them enough that he WANTS to read them all.

Color me a proud mama...

2 comments:

Stefaneener said...

As lifelong reader, I've been startled at how much pleasure I get from simply seeing my children read.

Anonymous said...

He's right. It is a good book. :)
My 2 oldest signed up for BOB this year, but they haven't started yet.
Katie